“Is Easter tomorrow?” she asked me every night including last night before I pulled up her covers and kissed her softy cheek. “It’s over, babe,” I say and pull the string on the light-fan.
Today we all have the after-party blues. Or maybe it’s a let-down after a sugar-high. We’re pooped. It’s okay. Feasting is fun, but you can’t do it all the time. Then you would be a sloth.
Did you know that Easter keeps going? It’s not really over. In the Christian calendar, Easter is celebrated for seven more Sundays topped off with the Sunday of Pentecost. More on that later.
Today I am sharing my list (gratefully) of things I have learned from Easter this year. Some of them make me laugh. Some sink me deeper into the mystery of this faith.
1. I’m not a fan of plastic eggs. But, I like the chocolate inside them…unless it’s melted. Also, I like watching kids find them.
2. I like reflective readings in Easter Sunday services. Love them actually. They have the potential to make me cry.
3. It’s hard to explain time to children. They’re cool like that.
4. I love boiled eggs. We took them on a picnic. I shared with all the kids. My nephew reminded me that really you need salt if you’re going to bring eggs on a picnic.
5. It’s more than a feeling, this Easter. You shouldn’t put it away with the baskets.
6. A few years ago, I decided to boycott the fake grass. It was a great decision!!!
7. claire…just leaving this one since she snuck in and typed her name there. 🙂
8. Easter to me is like a wedding day. It was a sweet celebration. Now we get to enjoy life together. There will be good days and bad days and ordinary days. But, we wouldn’t have this life without that day.
9. In Texas, Easter can feel like summer. Red, sweaty children have to want those eggs. Mom’s go around cursing the people who stuffed the eggs with chocolate. It was me this year. Hee-hee.
10. It’s fun to make a whole group of 2nd-5th graders yell, “Christ is Risen Indeed!!!!!” They are good at it. They are loud.
11. I’m pretty sure I was very productive this Easter as a result of fasting from Facebook. 🙂
12. A simple menu can sound just as good after a feasting meal. Tonight we’re having baked potatoes and sauteed veggies. Beans on the side. Yum.
P.S. If you need me, I’ll be cleaning up the egg-fest.