I was texting with my Mama yesterday morning. This is how it went:
Mom: Are you home?
Me: We made it home about 10:30 last night!!
Me: I know! Let the laundry begin…
Mom: Mountains at home
Me: Hey…that’s funny Mom!
Mom: I try
I loved her try, so I had to share with you. It’s been a day of putting away and gathering food for my chicks and finding things and cleaning. Whew. Also, today has been a hard day for my Mom. She has leukemia, and every day she has been here this whole year has been extra. I didn’t expect to text her today one year ago. I am so very grateful for these extry days. It hasn’t been easy. It’s hard to think you’re going to die soon, and then you don’t and then you don’t and then you don’t. She prepared her things, her will, her children, and here she is. It’s hard to know how to live I think, but that’s a problem that we all have. It’s by God’s grace that we live anyways, right? Why do we always want to know what’s next?
I’ve learned in all this that most of the time dying is a slow process. Perhaps that’s true for what needs to fade in our own lives. It’s a slow struggle to change and we are like weeble-wobbles….back and forth….one step forward, two steps back. Why does God even bother with us? We are not very efficient.
Thanks be to God today for:
580. Safe travels
581. memories made…stories to come (this trip was chock-full of blog material….just you wait, Henry Higgins!)
582. mountains in the north
583. mountains at home
584. Extra days with Mom and another birthday passed!
585. the smoky campfire smell brought home
587. family time
588. the beauty salon going on in the next room…I’ve never heard so many screams from a nail salon, but I’m sure it’s fine
590. wild raspberry that I ate on the Rendezvous Mountain hike…I can’t get it out of my mind. It was the best berry I’ve ever had. Hands-down.
591. God’s grace and love and mercy….even for inefficient weeble-wobbles
Join me in giving thanks!