Vegetarian Comfort Food
(otherwise known as Everyday Lentils and Rice)
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 Green Peppers
1 Large Onion
2-inch Stick Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ground Coriander
4 Whole Cloves
1 Cup Lentils
2 Cups Uncooked Rice
1 Can Diced Tomatoes
3 or 4 Carrots
1 Bunch Broccoli
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
8 Cups Water
1. In a large pot, heat oil. Saute sliced green peppers, chopped onion, and spices for a couple minutes.
2. Add the rice and lentils. Stir-fry about five minutes.
3. Add the vegetables, salt and water.
4. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice, lentils, and vegetables are tender (20-30 minutes).
5. While you are waiting, chop up a pear and toss it in a bowl with spinach leaves. Sprinkle with pecans, and drizzle with Greek Feta dressing, and you will have the best salad you ever put in your mouth.
6. Serve the lentils with the salad. Your family will thank you. I mean it. All of them. And then you will smile.